Thursday, January 22, 2009

Cocoa Swap Q2

Cocoa Swap 2 Question 2: Post a recipe of how you would make your Hot Cocoa

I typically use a pouch of Cocoa Mix, or less than a scoop of Mint Hot Cocoa Mix (from Trader Joe's) at home. I haven't made my own from scratch yet, but I did watch an episode of "Good Eats" on Food Network where Alton Brown made this. It looked so good but SO yummy, I saved the recipe.

Hot Cocoa

(Good Eats, Episode:Art of Darkness II, Cocoa)

Yield:
5 1/2 cups dry mix
2 cups powdered sugar
1 cup cocoa (Dutch-process preferred)
2 1/2 cups powdered milk
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 pinch cayenne pepper, or more to taste
Hot water

Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl and incorporate evenly. In a small pot, heat 4 to 6 cups of water.

Fill your mug half full with the mixture and pour in hot water. Stir to combine. Seal the rest in an airtight container, keeps indefinitely in the pantry. This also works great with warm milk.

I'd toss some marshmallows and maybe even some chopped candy canes in if I had them on hand.

(Couldn't resist the pic of Alton Brown. He puts a geeky spin on cooking and baking, what's not to love?)


6 comments:

Jackie said...

I'm channeling my inner sugar addict, but wouldn't that me good with a big homemade marshmallow?

Unfortunately, it's sugar free Swiss Miss for me!

Amanda said...

Nice! I might just have to give this a try.

Chris said...

If you'd like to make just one cup of "real" cocoa, like I do, here's how:

In a microwave-proof mug, put 1-1/2 T of cocoa powder and an equivalent amount of granulated sugar or Equal (for a low-cal version). Run tap water until it's hot. Add just enough tap water to be able to mix the cocoa and sugar into a thick paste (eliminating lumps). Top off the mug with milk (low-fat is fine). Stir to mix well. Microwave until hot. (With my microwave, this is 1.5 minutes). Top with whipped cream, if desired.

This is really yummy and ready in a jiffy. Last winter I had a cup of cocoa (sugar free) most evenings. I haven't yet this year, but you've reminded me!

Chris de Longpre
Knitting At KNoon Designs, LLC
http://www.KnittingAtKNoon.com

insanknitty said...

I can hear Alton Browns voice in my head as i"m reading your post.. I LOVE the foot network :-)

Renna said...

I'll give it a try simply because it's Alton's recipe. I love that guy!

Thanks for sharing the recipe! :-)

Darcys Knotty Knitter said...

My hubby and I watch Alton Brown all the time the cocoa sounds wonderful:)Hugs Darcy