Sunday, December 28, 2008

Winter Knitting Goals and a FO

Fall Knitting Goals Wrap-Up

1. Finish other baby gift set. DONE
2. Start my first shawl. (Notice the key word, start) (Forest Canopy Shawl).
3. Purchase yarn and make progress on first sweater. (A February Lady Sweater.) Ended up being my NaKniSweMo sweater. It's not done yet, but more progress than I expected when making these goals at least!
4. Work on more projects that have been OTN for far too long. (Finished Mom's Mitts)
5. Something for Amazing Autumn Coffee Swap (Registration closes Oct. 15th)
Made Stitch Markers instead of knitting, due to NaKniSweMo and due to the fact that I hadn't made any for a while and missed it.

I met all of my goals, if I grant myself a bit of an extension! I got so caught up with finishing my Mom' Mitts that I could not put them down to cast on the shawl. I made more progress than I thought I could at the time I made my Fall goals, on both my February Lady Sweater and Mom's Mitts. This is the first time I met all of my set goals! Now comes that hard part, deciding on my Winter goals!

Here's a peek at my Forest Canopy Shawl WIP:
Winter Knitting Goals
1. Finish
Feb. Lady Sweater.
2. Make progress on my
Forest Canopy Shawl.
3. Attempt to knit jewelry. (
Bijouterie, Winter Knitty)
4. Make something for Hot Cocoa Swap 2 downstream partner. (TBD, Rec: deadline Feb. 15th.) FYI: Registration opens Dec. 28th.
Deadline: March 20th


Mom's Mitts
Pattern: Urban Necessity Gloves by Colleen Meagher
Weapons: US6 DPN's, and KnitPick's Circular's
Yarn: Cascade 220
Size: Medium cuff, Large once 1/2 way to fingers and for cap. (Recipient has hands similar to mine w/long fingers.)
Started/Finished: Feb. 25th- Dec. 22, 2008.
Recipient: Mom

Comments: Casted on in February (2008) and finished first mitt (without cap) in March. I had started the second cuff with DPN's and then switched to circulars for the body of the mitt, and then switched back to DPN's for the fingers. I casted on second mitt in June, put it down for a while, and picked it back up in December. I knit the second mitt entirely on DPN's and was way more comfortable with them by the time I got to the fingers of the second mitt. I had issues understanding the cap directions, and ended up modifying the flap of the cap myself. I picked up 7 stitches at the top of the cap and then made short rows picking up 2 stitches on each side of the cap. I may add velcro or something once the mitts are used, to keep the cap more tightly shut, if needed.
Overall I liked making these mitts. I got way more comfortable working with DPN's. The fingers, although fiddly, were much easier for me the second time around. If I am to make another convertible mitt, I may try a different pattern next time. I really like the diamond on the top of the mitt and may include that chart on another pair. As most people mentioned, the hand portion of the mitt is a bit big, and next time I would just follow medium instructions. If I had made a medium cap instead of a large, the cap would also fit a bit more snugly.

4 comments:

Jackie said...

Congratulations on meeting your goals! The mitts are great and I love the yarn color! Happy New Year!

Bea said...

Congrats on meeting your fall goals! I hope you meet your winter goals too!

hmmm...should I do cocoa swap this time around...

Darcys Knotty Knitter said...

Nice mitts:)Hugs Darcy

AlisonH said...

Congratulations on the mitts; they're wonderful! (Boy, I needed something like that when I lived in NH.)