Tuesday, May 27, 2008
(Will post more completely once stuffed and lined)Last week I also made some progress on my Airy Scarf . I also have Mom's Mitts OTN and on my "To Do" List. I see myself casting on for something new somewhere in there... I have to give myself a reward sometime right?
Also hoping to get my PIF gifts done and in the mail very soon! I orginally posted about it in August with other plans. Now I've settled on what I want to give, I just have to finish getting it together and in the mail.
As I mentioned before, here is a pic of one of the three stitch marker sets I made and sent out recently. I didn't want to post it before anyone had gotten theirs, they should all be received by now. I sent one set out to my downstream Spring Fling Coffee and Yarn swap partner and two sets out for Spring Stitch Marker swap.
Tuesday, May 20, 2008
1. Do you knit or crochet? How long have you been at your craft? Knit, 3+ years now. No crochet... yet.
2. Do you spin? What type of spinning? Nope
3. What are your favorite yarns/fibers? What are your least favorite yarns/fibers? I love working with Malabrigo. I also enjoy various cottons, mohair, wool/silk, haven't found anything I don't really like yet.
4. What are your favorite colors?What are your least favorite colors? Love: Yellow, blue and pink. Dislike a lot of purples.
5. Are there any yarns/brands that you are dying to work with but never have? Not that I know of :) I'm always up for trying something that someone else can't live without!
6. What is/are your favorite types of projects to knit/crochet? I made one hat, (amanda hat), and really enjoyed it. I also made a wrap (Wisp) and plan to make a shawl. (Although this one ended up being smaller and more like a scarf.) I have enjoyed making mittens, washcloths, and scarves so far... Thinking about socks or a sweater sometime soon.
7. What are you currently working on? Anything you plan to work on this summer? Currently trying to knock out the high amount of almost finished WIP's I have hanging around. I keep starting new projects in between finishing the old WIP's. Currently I'm tackling my airy scarf, and eye pillow. Last week I finished a washcloth for Spring Fling Swap. Want to finish my mom's mitts soon also. Thinking about casting on a washcloth or baby item inbetween.
8. What is your favorite FO? (Post a pic if you would like.) Don't have too many projects so I don't feel like I have a "favorite" yet. I really loved making my Wisp. It was my first lace project and I loved the mohair. Even though it was simple, I still enjoyed making it. Liked it so much I have some Knitpicks Alpaca Cloud to make another one. At this point, if I'm willing to make something again, I'd call it a favorite.
9. What is your oldest UFO? Clogs (OCS... one clog syndrome)
10. Are there any techniques that you want to learn? magic loop (understand it, have the book, but want to apply it to a project such as socks), try toe up socks, maybe try two at a time socks.
11. Are you on Ravlery? What's your ID? yes, ponyknit
12. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements? not yet... I am a size 8. I have my measurements somewhere... will edit this post once I find them.
13. Do you collect anything? Yes, I have a fair amount of books ranging from horseback riding/instruction to cooking/baking to animal rights to various "fun" novels and of course Knitting books. I collect Miles Davis books and music. (I became obsessed with him and Jazz when I played flute and trumpet and sang during high school.) I also collect the little shell "animals" that touristy shops sell everywhere. I have probably 6 different animals from my travels. It's sort of an "incidental" collection, I can't stop myself from buying them when I see new animals. I also have a collection of Painted Ponies.
14. Do you have a yarn winder and/or swift? Looking to buy a winder ASAP. Can't handle winding by hand anymore! (Also I am really OCD about yarn balls and love center pull balls.) I imagine once I have a winder I'll naturally put a swift on my want list.
15. Do you love sweets? What are your favorites? Yes! Chocolate such as Dove, snickers etc. Gummi's such as gummi bears, swedish fish, twizzlers etc.
16. What are your favorite scents? Rose, lavender. Like clean/fresh scents. Dislike pine scented stuff.
17. Where do you keep your needles/hooks? Knitpicks Options in their own binder/pockets. Straight needles in a roll. (Gifted from Christmas swap)
18. Do you have a wishlist (Amazon, Etsy, etc?) Yes, Amazon.
19. Having a birthday this summer? Yes, June 3rd.
20. Are you allergic to anything??? Please let your pal know! Any lotions with a lot of additives (i.e. glitter.) I can use most anything from bath and body works (minus glitter), but I react horribly to Oil of Olay or harsh laundry detergents. (Haven't been able to nail it down.)
New Swap: Registered for SP12 (Signed up for new lower $ option due to the other swaps I registered for while waiting for SP12 to happen.)
Tuesday, May 13, 2008
These days, my postman has been doing well, despite our previous history, yesterday I got TWO packages in the same day!
I received my Spring Fling Coffee and Yarn Swap package. I've totally been spoiled by Gretchen! I got a package full to the brim with sunshine and spring! I got an awesome travel mug, Starbucks coffee, the knit knack kit, two skeins of Merino 5, three bars of yummy chocolate, a cute nail file, flower notecards, spring magnetic notepad, a flower pouch, and some Forget Me Not blooms in a bag.
The knit knack kit was sitting on my Amazon wishlist for a while, until it went unavailable. I had my eyes on these mittens, booties and hat. Adorable!
Look at the beautiful color! I haven't tried this yarn before, I can't wait!
FO: Finally, a FO! Sent off to my downstream Spring Fling Swap partner.
Pattern: Speckled Washcloth by Kerri Andrews
Weapons: US 9
Yarn: S.R. Kertzer CoolSpun Cotton Ombres
Start/Finish: April 27th (casted on at Yarn Harlot)/May 11th 2008
For: Spring Fling swap downstream partner
Casted on at Yarn Harlot. Initially I wasn't sure how much I liked the pattern with this yarn. Ended up alternating FS, and making the washcloth more reversible. This also proved to make it a more interesting knit, by staggering the YO rows. I added in an extra K5 * P * K5 row after each repeat.
It ended up being a very wide washcloth, next time I would cast on less stitches. It was a quick knit on size 9 needles, I just focused on the Amanda hat when I had time instead.
Coming soon: Pic of one set of the three stitch markers I sent out for both swaps. I didn't want to put them in my post in fear that I'd ruin the surprise for my spring stitch marker partners (not secret swap like spring fling) before they got their packages!
New Swaps: Not sure if I already mentioned that I signed up for the Make It Through the Day Swap on Ravelry. (Sorry signups closed yesterday I believe) I also signed up for another swap. I have been waiting and waiting for SP12 to come, and this seemed very similar. Stop by, still time to sign up! I will be posting my Q&A soon.
Tuesday, May 6, 2008
OH Dusty you've found my latest FO, an Amanda Hat.
Notes: Perfect for a first hat pattern! (It was my first) Really quick knit, just didn’t have the time to sit down with it for more than one repeat at a time! Fun pattern, I see more in the future.
The circumference was a perfect fit for me. I used the recommended needle and got the recommended gauge. Length worked out well with these modifications, it covers my ears, but with not too much to spare. If making another one for me, I might make it a tad longer.
Modifications: After reading about other people’s experiences I was worried that it would be too tall. I omitted the final garter stitch rows. Also, I used some decrease modifications from NinaKnits.
Increased decrease rows at the top as follows:
ROW 10: K
ROW 11: K2tog around row - 12 stitches
ROW 12: K2tog around row - 6 stitches
I also continued with decreases over 2 more rows;
Row 13: K
Row 14: K2tog (3 sts)
Spring Fling Swap Topic #6
We'll go free form this week - Post about your WIPs, post about your package, post about the weather where you are - just be sure to include that the post is for the Spring Fling Weekly Topic somewhere inside it when you tell us it's there! I'd love to hear how folks are enjoying the goodies they received, if they have, or how much fun you had shopping for your pal!
Here's some info about my newest WIP, no package for me yet. I had a last minute change in downstream partner and will be mailing my package out soon. (with or without speckled is the question! I'm already planning on making some stitch markers to meet the "homemade" requirement.)
WIP: Here's a pic of Speckled. I have been intending it for my Spring Fling swap partner. Not sure if I like it. We'll see. It's in CoolSpun Cotton. My first time working with it. I can't say it's very different from P&C or S&C but to me it seems more splitty. I really love the colors!