Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Christmas Around the World Questionnaire

Christmas IS coming... I'm getting excited! This swap is starting also, I can't wait! I better get a start on my LARGE knitted gift list!


1. Are you religious? Yes and no... I grew up Catholic, these days I am fitting together what I really believe...

2. How long have you been knitting? Would you consider yourself a Beginner, Intermediate or Advanced? I have been knitting since Jan 2006. I would say I am an advanced beginner with some things, an intermediate with others.

3. Do you have any other hobbies besides knitting? I horseback ride, train horses and teach riding lessons. I also like to read, ski and golf. I also enjoy gardening, cooking and especially baking.

4. Favorite color(s)? I love yellow and blue. Pink is up there on the list also. (I hate purple)

5. Do you collect anything? Yes, I collect Painted Ponies. (Linked in case you are interested. They are handpainted horse statues.) I also have a fair amount of books ranging from horseback riding/instruction to cooking/baking to animal rights to various "fun" novels and of course Knitting books. I collect Miles Davis books and music. (I became obsessed with him and Jazz when I played flute and trumpet and sang during high school.) I also collect the little shell "animals" that touristy shops sell everywhere. I have probablly 6 different ones from my travels. It's sort of an "incidental" collection, I can't stop myself from buying them when I see new animals.

6. Are you allergic to any fibers or animals? No.

7. Do you have any pets? Yes I own a horse and dog, and I also live with another dog and a cat. (Quite an assortment)

8. Coffee, Tea, or Hot Chocolate? There's a perfect time for each of them. I love to relax with a cup of tea, I drink coffee every morning, and hot chocolate is a great treat.

9. Cookies or Sweets? Sweets. I personally like to bake cookies, so I don't usually buy them.

10. Do you knit socks? Not yet...

11. If not socks then what? (tell us about your favorite knits) Scarves, dishcloths, mittens.

12. Do you put up a Christmas tree? If not then what do you do? Yes. Used to always be a real and BIG one, but sometimes we would use a fake tree when we were traveling on vacation shortly after X-Mas.

13. Favorite holiday treats? I love peppermint. (My horse does also!) I also love gingerbread cookies.

14. Favorite holiday smells? Gingerbread and peppermint (see #13). I have a seasonal scented yankee candle (can't remember the name, it's white) that I like to burn around the holidays.

15. Do you celebrate Christmas in a traditional or unconventional way? (Please elaborate.) I have a pretty traditional celebration, albeit small. (I don't have much family, and a bunch of it is in florida) On Christmas eve we open a few presents. On Christmas morning we open the rest of our gifts within the immediate family, and our stockings. We usually have a dinner in the afternoon with family and friends (always consisting of lasagna) and we exchange gifts with our guests.

16. What are your favorite holiday traditions? Finding JUST the right gift for someone, and also last minute shopping. (I realize that is contradictory, but I love both) Lasagna ;) mmmm

17. Finish the sentence: “For me Christmas is all about....” Knowing someone so well that you can find them just the right present.

18. If you were a Christmas ornament you would be…….? A glittery snowflake! (I love snow!)

19. What was your favorite gift you've ever received? Or given? Not sure... I'll have to think about that one.

20. When do you start your Christmas? I refuse to shop before Thanksgiving, but that doesn't stop me from planning, especially homemade gifts.

21. Do you send Christmas cards? Do you make them or buy them? I LOVE to send cards. I usually buy them because I send out too many.

22. What is your favorite Christmas dish? Lasagna, hands down.

23. Carolers are at your door. What do you do? Open the door and let them in. Maybe offer them some homemade cookies or hot chocolate. (I used to be one, I know how appreciated it is when your caroling in New England.)

24. When do you open presents? Christmas eve or Christmas morning? Both (See #15)

25. Do you celebrate with family or friends or both? Both (See #15)

2 comments:

Knittymuggins said...

Thanks so much for sharing Alicia! I think it's so cute that your horse loves peppermint :) That smell always reminds me of Christmas even though I don't care much about eating it. I'm with you on tea, coffee and hot chocolate: there's definitely a time and mood for each of those :) Hope you're enjoying the swap so far and thanks for filling out your questionnaire!

Kim in NJ said...

Hi Alicia,

I'm part of this swap, too; I'm really enjoying reading everybody's questionnaires. Fun answers!