Sunday, July 22, 2007

Shopping and Vintage knitting...

On Friday, I had planned a trip to Boston with a friend (a muggle) and our plans changed last minute. Because it was an awesome way to use up my vacation time before it's gone and she had the day off anyway, we went to Boston for the afternoon to visit a friend of hers and explore. I needed some buttons for my Wisp and knew that Windsor Button would have what I wanted. Many of the local knitters in Boston spoke highly of the store so I knew that they would have what I wanted. I found more than just buttons, educated my friend about some knitting things, and ended up finding just what I needed for my upcoming KVV swap. If anyone from New England is looking for State specific gifts, e-mail me or comment here, I would be glad to share my findings! It fits the swap PERFECTLY! I will hold posting about what I'm sending out for the swap now, but pic's will be following when it is closer to when I have sent it out. (Late August) It was nice to get almost everything that I wanted to send in one stop! Of course, I also picked up something (or two) for myself. First, a skein of New England Highland wool in a really pretty teal that has a lot of different shades of green and blue (#13 High Peacock). Also, I got a skein of Crystal Palace's Kid Merino (#9802 blue/green/deep purple) in order to make a Gossamer shell scarf from "One Skein Wonders." I didn't realize until now, but apparently I was in a blue/green sort of mood. I definitely will go back to Windsor Button, and I would also like to find other yarn shops next time that I am in the city. (Hear that Moriah?)

Lately, several people have been holding really FUN contests. I ran into knittinggals' contest that is still going on. Head on over to her blog and check it out! I had a good time looking around and I will have to put hers into the rotation. I LOVE her old-school knitting pic's.
I have a thing for old pictures. It makes me feel like I am looking back and sharing moment of time with that person. I have a collection of old pictures of family members. Most of them are of my grand parents, my great grandparents and and their siblings, hanging out on the farm, playing in the snow or going on pony rides. Now I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for older knitting photos. I love that stuff!

After looking at Knittinggal's page, I started poking around on Google and looking at vintage knitting photos. Look at what I found:


Now, all of you children of the 80's: I couldn't resist this... apparently Paton's made a pattern booklet for the SMURFS! Man, if only I knitted then... Now, I won't kid you, I won't be knitting anything from this SMURF booklet. (Actually, now I think it's a "collector's" item.)
(Gotta love the ultra big hair in a high ponytail. (I have a school pic from elementary school with the same high ponytail, so it makes this even more amusing to me.))

5 comments:

Nichole said...

I've been finding some interesting New England / NH items for my KVVS pal too!

Moriah said...

I saw another YS on Newbury St. when I was volunteering at the Women's Lunch Place. I'm sure there are more...I think Subway Knitter has mentioned a few in her blog in the past. But definitely...we need to go YS hopping!! Even if I am too poor to buy anything...:(

Alaina said...

I love the Smurfs. ;)

Megan said...

LOVE the smurfs!! A couple of years ago I worked at a summer camp. I made a smurf reference and none of the kids knew what I was talking about. I can't really be that old, can I?

Tammy said...

I loved the smurfs when I was a teenager!! I had one stuffed one but I don't know if we still have it or not. I was trying to describe them to my 13yo the other day and she just could not get it.